7/1/17 - 7/3/17
Several days passed in this blog, and many of them were filled with naps and down time and people watching (and netflix, let’s be honest)… so instead of giving you the play-by-play, here’s a simple list of some of the things I’ve been filling my days with.
- Woke up freakishly early for no reason. Took advantage of this to watch the monks go by collecting their morning alms. Very interesting to observe. After Vassa (Buddhist lent), they will all go into the temples and not come out for 3 months.
- Walked to a french cafe, sat upstairs all afternoon with a chai in front of a fan, writing and coloring and reading. PS you can win their cafe -- www.ultimatedreamlifeabroad.com
- Had my laundry done. One sock did not return, marking the first lost item of the trip.
- Had Mexican food for dinner with two new guests at the Airbnb - they’re from Idaho! I guess I came to Laos to eat pizza and tacos?
- Traveled to several ATMs before finding one that actually worked.
- Had some fresh spring rolls with mango in them
- Encountered a tiny dog all alone that looked like a lamb walking across the bamboo bridge to get home. He clearly knew exactly where he was going, but stopped to say hello for a minute.
- Learned that the word for “ha” in Laos looks a lot like the number “5”. So if you want to say “hahaha” in text messages, you just type 555. I will start using this as a test to see who is actually reading my blogs or not.
- Skype planning sessions for upcoming destinations! I will finally see people!!
- Switched to a new location because my room was booked. Myself, my hosts, and the dogs were all very sad about this. It’s down a cute little alleyway, though!
- Bought some snacks in a mini mart where everything is covered in dust. The woman tried to give me back too much change, and when I gave her back what she overpaid, she didn’t even bat an eye and kept talking to her friend without saying anything to me. Well fine, at least my conscience is clean.
- Finally finished this stupid book that I was reading, freeing myself. I immediately found a book to exchange it for so I wouldn’t have to look at it again. German murder mysteries are apparently terrible. Everyone’s name sounds the same and there are like 42 characters to keep track of. The twist at the end was pretty good but the book could have been 60% shorter. Dear god.
- Read the short story I bought in Thailand (Venom). It’s by a Thai author (Saneh Sangsuk), and it was delightfully dark. It reminded me very much of The Metamorphosis, one of the first stories that I understood in a core part of my being. Highly suggest it if you can find it to read!
“He had never told the secrets in his imagination to anyone...”
- Watched A Street Cat Named Bob at the french cafe. It was wonderful! The cat in the movie is the cat from the real world (based on a true story). The cafe shows free movies every night, so we’ll see what else I watch before I leave.
- Got my visa for Vietnam (yay!). Now all I need to do is find a printer somewhere… preferably not the one at the airport
- All the puppy snuggles
- Found a boat load of new songs I love on Spotify, and proceeded to crack out on them on repeat.